Statement of Commitment
As a member-owned, not for-profit financial cooperative, Gateway Credit Union is committed to our members. We will uphold our fundamental responsibility to actively serve people within our field of membership, and as appropriate, the communities they live in. We will deliver a range of low cost products and services to the diverse economic and social makeup of our members and potential members.
Throughout Gateway Credit Union's strategic plan, we will put forth every effort to enable our members to become financially self-sufficient and successful. We will place high importance on consumer education and the teaching of financial thrift.
This statement represents good business practices that ensure the financial strength of our credit union on behalf of our members.
Section I. Service to Members
Gateway Credit Union strives to offer a wide range of services designed to improve the economic and social well being of our members.
New Services Planned:
- VISA CheckCard - Visa CheckCards will offer members the convenience of being accessible anywhere VISA cards are accepted, 24 hours a day. This product allows the credit union to become more competitive with the traditional bank market.
- Growth - Marketing plans are currently being implemented to expand our field of membership to include potential members in the same general bond of our core membership. This includes immediate family members of our core group. Our field of membership includes: All medical employees, their immediate family members, and all other health related occupations.
- Variable Rate Investment program
- Savings Bonds
- Longer hours of operation at our branch office located inside the hospital.
- Purchase of a full service ATM machine
- Continued development of relations with other credit union to share ATM machines to offer members withdrawals at no surcharge.
Section II. Member Education
Gateway Credit Union is committed to member and consumer financial education. In addition, we are committed to educating members and consumers, alike, about credit union uniqueness, philosophy, and values.
Current Programs that Support Member Education and Advocacy:
- Newsletter - Gateway Credit Union publishes a quarterly newsletter to discuss current issues, new services, rates, and other valuable information.
- Financial Counseling - When a member has financial concerns with their credit, the credit union can help by granting loans when possible and can also offer advice about ways to work towards solving credit problems.
- Fleet Dealers - For members who are looking to purchase a car, the credit union can act as a liaison between the member and certain dealers to provide no haggle pricing and save time and money. Also, the credit union serves as a resource as a member considers purchase prices, trade-in values and other issues.
- School Education Seminars - When we have the opportunity we conduct seminars at the elementary schools to educate children about the benefits of credit union membership and the importance of savings and thrift.
- Hospital Intranet - Allows expedient access to our core field of membership to inform members of special events, promotions, and upcoming events to be held by the credit union.
- Television commercial - Gateway Credit Union sponsored a 30-second commercial through the local cable channel. This allowed viewers an opportunity to see the many benefits and services available to them through a credit union.
Section III. Involvement/Governance
Gateway Credit Union endeavors to preserve credit union democratic principles, including demographic representation and volunteer participation in credit union activities.
Annual Meeting - We invite the entire membership to our annual meeting where elections are held for available seats on the Board of Directors. We also draw for door prizes and offer refreshments to help entice members to attend.
Supervisory Committee - We recruit members to serve on our Supervisory Committee, a committee that attends all board meetings and takes an active role in credit union management.
Member Survey - Gateway Credit Union recently surveyed the entire membership for feed back about the credit union, our programs, and areas that need focus in the near future.
Section IV. Diversity
Gateway Credit Union operates as a democratically controlled, member-owned cooperative, by focusing management, staff, and volunteers on diversity in the leadership and staff of the credit union
Current Programs that Promote Diversity:
- Nominating Committee - The nominating committee strives to find members from all types of backgrounds and views in order to ensure a diverse board of directors.
- Member Survey - The credit union's membership survey identifies demographic areas and membership groups who may not be currently represented on our board so that the credit union can work towards representing all members.
New Programs Planned:
- Better Communication - Gateway Credit Union will endeavor to find more and convenient ways in which the membership can voice concerns should they feel a segment is not being fairly represented.
Section V. Commitment to the Credit Union Movement and other Cooperative Activities
Gateway Credit Union works to build and strengthen our unique credit union movement by providing financial and in-kind resources to others within the credit union and in other appropriate public forums. In addition, Gateway Credit Union participates in local, state and national cooperative activities as appropriate and strives to build and strengthen relationships with other sectors of the national cooperative movement.
Current Activities that Support the Credit Union Movement:
- Chapter Meetings - Gateway Credit Union takes an active role in the Tennessee Credit Union League, by attending meetings and participating in league activities.
- Shared ATM Program - Gateway Credit Union participates in a program that allows credit unions to share ATM resources. This allows our members to use other credit union ATM's in the network without the expensive surcharges.
Section VI. Public Service/Corporate Citizenship
Through direct financial support or other in-kind contributions to worthwhile local organizations, and by participating in public service activities, Gateway Credit Union strives to be an active partner in our community. We recognize that practicing good Corporate Citizenship supports the Credit Union philosophy of People Helping People; furthermore, it also helps to strengthen the overall level of social and economic well being of those in our community, helps to strengthen ties within the community, and better position us to reach out and serve - as only credit unions can - those people in greatest need of affordable financial services.